Pages

Wednesday 23 October 2013

Godly Friendships


“In friendship...we think we have chosen our peers. 
In reality a few years' difference in the dates of our births, 
a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another...
the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting--
any of these chances might have kept us apart. 
But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking no chances. 
A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. 
Christ, who said to the disciples, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you," 
can truly say to every group of Christian friends, 
"Ye have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another." 
The friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. 
It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others.

- C.S Lewis [The Four Loves]

I think this succinctly summarizes why I'm so thankful for my cg!
...and those I'm close with in Church, and those I'm not close with now, 

but may be in the near or not so near future. haha :) 
That's why I always say my batch of girls, we're so so different, yet we're close.
It's really amazing :) And that's the smaller picture.
Yea, we can think some people may be "weird" or not "fun enough" to hang around with,

but really, in Christ, our relationship/friendship is eternal. And I have been learning that.
That's why I have this bond with my Church, as long as the doctrines are right,

everyone who believe the same doctrine is my family.
Of course you'd still need to build those relational ties right, but I mean 
generally speaking. haha

 Notice the words in bold?
Proud proud me actually used to think that way about friends.
I would be friends with all, but leaned more towards the 'selecting friends

based on whether or not they were fun, and loyal'.
I'd bank in the credit on being able to have a circle of friends who were so 'tight' :x 
Le sigh me~ Of course things have changed, the circle which I used to know 
was not a circle any more. But God is good even if our circumstances doesn't seem like it.
He works in ways that far surpasses our ability to comprehend yet gives us enough

understanding to trust in His plans. 

*

Someone said, if your family members aren't Christians,
then your family bond doesn't last forever. So true. The world will say "family lasts forever".
Their 'forever' isn't Forever.

I'm not saying 'there is no hope', I'm just sharing that we ought to care
also about the spiritual faith of our family members.
My Grandfather only became a Christian last year, so as long as they are breathing,

keep being Christ's witness to them, in speech and in actions.

- Written with love & in Christ -

No comments:

Post a Comment